Our List Of The 10 Best Cities In South East Asia | expatne.ws
28 June 2023
Are you planning a trip to South East Asia, but don’t know where to go? This guide has you covered with the 10 best cities in South East Asia. These cities are packed with culture, sights, and fun activities that will help you make the most of your visit. So let’s explore the 10 best cities in South East Asia!
1. Bangkok – Thailand: Bangkok is the perfect place to start your trip to South East Asia. It’s known for its delicious food, amazing nightlife, and impressive historical sites. Here you can explore glittering temples and markets, take a private boat ride along the canals, or shop until you drop on Khao San Road.
2. Hanoi – Vietnam: Hanoi is full of culture and is a great place to learn more about Vietnamese history and culture. Visit Hoan Kiem Lake for stunning views of the cityscape, wander through the old quarter to visit temples and museums, or taste local cuisine at one of Hanoi’s many street food stalls.
3. Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur is a vibrant city with plenty of cultural attractions such as Batu caves and Islamic Arts Museum which tells the story of Malaysia’s rich cultural heritage. Food lovers will appreciate Kuala Lumpur’s diverse cuisines from Malay to Chinese and Indian dishes such as Roti Jala or Malaysian Laksa Soup.
4. Siem Reap – Cambodia: Siem Reap is home to some of the most incredible ancient sites in South East Asia such as Angkor Wat Temple, Ta Prohm temple complex, Bayon Temple and Banteay Srei temple complex which are all within easy reach from ‘the city’ centre by tuk-tuk or car hire driver . Siem Reap also has lively night markets where you can find anything from handcrafted souvenirs like silver jewelry to traditional clothes and more!
5. Ho Chi Minh City – Vietnam: In Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) there are plenty of things to do from visiting famous religious landmarks such as Giac Lam Pagoda or exploring historical sites like The War Remnants Museum; there is no shortage of activities here! You can also shop your way around nearby Ben Thanh Market which offers an array of items from antiques to fresh cut flowers – ideal for souvenirs!
6. Singapore – Singapore: Singapore is known as one of most modern cities in South East Asia with futuristic architecture, high end shopping malls , lush gardens , exciting nightlife spots including rooftop bars with stunning views across Marina Bay Sands . Other must-see attractions include Universal Studios Singapore , Singapore Zoo , Sentosa Island & much more !
7 Penang – Malaysia : Penang is known for its amazing street art scene which includes Little India , mural streets & hidden alleys full with art pieces . Food lover will be delighted since this city offers some unique local dishes such as char kway teow & laksa lemak . Do not miss out on visiting Kek Long Tan Temple or explore Georgetown’s Enchanted Garden which makes up some beautiful sights along scenic beaches !
8 Chiang Mai – Thailand : Chiang Mai is one of most famous city in Northern Thailand , it features historic temples such as Doi Suthep temple located on top of mountain & Wat Phra That Doi Kham temple enchanted garden . There are tons fun activities here from trekking through jungles , biking around ancient temples , cooking classes with locals & rafting down river .
9 Ubud – Bali : Ubud is the cultural heartland of Bali rich in Balinese art & culture such as wood carving village Mas , holy water temples Gunung Kawi & Goa Gajah cave temple complex . Nature lovers should not miss out on breathtaking views at Tegalalang Rice Terraces or participating yoga classes amongst palm trees .
10 Yogyakarta — Indonesia : Yogyakarta (also known as Jogja ) encompasses incredible ancient heritage such as Borobudur Temple complex , Prambanan Temple complex & Ratu Boko Palace ruins . Not only that but this city boasts with unique cultures like batik making demonstrations at Malioboro area traditional puppet shows at Benteng Vastenburg area .